Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Just a little something I thought I needed to write down...

I wrote a lot more to this post, but I realized that the only part I really wanted to share was this next bit. I think the previous two paragraphs were important because they helped me get to this point, but I also know that any good editor isn't afraid to cut and cut a piece until you get to the real heart of it all. Which brings me to what I figured out I had really been thinking about tonight. Let me preface this with a few things about my incredibly lovable husband and our relationship. We love to go on "food adventures." He still can't figure out when it's a moment to say, "Buck-up Buttercup," versus a moment that requires a hug and a kiss on the forehead--but I think he's working on it. We fight, which we think is pretty normal. We act like five-year-olds sometimes, but it's almost always on purpose. He steals my pillow at night, but I steal the covers. He wears a belt buckle (enough said). He makes me laugh and helps me laugh at myself. He held me while I bawled my eyes out because I accidentally killed Johnny Cash, our fish. He got me a new fish named Robby Burns for our first anniversary. He leaves toothpaste in the sink. He tucks me in at night. He hates to dance. He eats all the pudding. He makes amazing breakfast burritos. He really, truly loves me. And even though I want children more than anything in the world right now, if they don't come for a while, if they don't come for years, if they don't come in this life--Garrett is enough. If Garrett is the only other member of our little family for the rest of our lives he is enough. I don't think I've done a very good job of making him feel that way the last few months, but I looked him in the eye tonight and told him so and I'm putting it down in writing now to remind myself to remind him that it's true.

No comments:

Post a Comment