Wednesday, March 14, 2012

26

So, since I'm turning 26 in a week and I live in Provo, UT where being 26 and female in a student ward is like being 40 everywhere else-- I was wondering if there was anything I should hurry up and learn while I'm still 25. I think this bizarre wondering came from lack of sleep, by the way. So, being only 25, I turned to the internet to either confirm or calm my anxious wondering. I happened upon an article that included 26 life lessons a young man had learned by the age of 26. Since he wasn't LDS and didn't have an eternal gospel perspective, a lot of what he said seemed a little short-sighted. There were also things that seemed a little obvious to me--like how dumb it is to drink so much you're sick for days and can't account for your actions during a 12 hour period. There was one thing on his list that was short, sweet, profound, and true--even though it was a little obvious. I was glad to be able to say I had already learned this life lesson and had acted on it. It simply said, "Marry your best friend."
At this point, I felt WAY ahead of the game because I was 23 when I married my best friend. It was just so wonderful, at a time of reflection, to realize that I'm not doing half-bad in life and the next 26 years will be all the more brighter because I learned and lived that simple lesson--Marry your best friend.
And I'd like to add my two cents as a soon-to-be-26-year-old. After you marry your best friend, you have to keep BEING their best friend.I think that's the only part he was missing. So, I'm starting my 26th year with the resolve to make a better effort to be a better best friend to my best friend, Garrett.

No comments:

Post a Comment